Plymouth Lets: Frequently Asked Questions

Below you’ll find some of our frequently asked questions. If there’s something not covered, then please feel free to get in touch with us.


Can I extend my contract length?

The standard contract is either 48 or 50 weeks but can usually be extended.


Can I move in before my tenancy start date?

You are given a tenancy start date but this may, under some circumstances, be brought forward.


Can I pull out of my contract?

Your tenancy agreement legally binds you to the period it covers. Make sure you review it carefully before signing.


Can I shorten the contract length?

Tenancy agreements will be for the agreed length. If you vacate your accommodation early you will still need to pay for the rent during this period and be responsible for the condition of the room and in some circumstances, the property.


Do I have to pay for water, gas and/or electricity?

We offer students an all-inclusive rent, this means water, gas, electricity and internet are all included in your rent. We also provide a free cleaning service of the communal areas for larger properties which includes an oven clean.

There is a fair usage policy per person per week to cover utility usage, which is included in your rent.

We realise that these are just a few of the most common questions. If you feel that there is anything we can add to help other students please feel free to email us.


Do I need to have a UK-based guarantor?

You only need to provide a UK-based guarantor if you wish to pay your rent in instalments. You do not need to provide a guarantor if you are paying the full annual rent in advance.


Do I need to pay council tax?

Not if you are a full-time student enrolled on a full-time course.


How do I book a viewing?

All of our properties are re-listed each November. Once you know the type of property you are looking for, you can either call the office on 01752 223354 or email us at [email protected] to book your viewing.

In November our house shares will be let to groups rather than individuals. Once the bulk of the groups have booked, then the properties will be opened up to individuals wishing to go into a shared house. We can advise you of timescales nearer the time should you require any further information.


How many bedrooms do the properties have?

We have a wide selection of student accommodation available. Within shared houses, these range from 1 to 13 bedrooms and it is a case of personal choice as to what sort of property you would like to live in.


If I like a property/room – what is the next stage?

You would need to pay a holding deposit (1 weeks rent) to reserve the property. We will then ask you to complete the application form and good faith letter. Next, you will be invited to sign the tenancy agreement ensuring you understand the legal implications.


What areas should I be looking for?

Most of our student accommodation is located within a mile or so radius from the University of Plymouth and City Centre. The majority of properties are also located on main bus routes so access to Marjons and other colleges are within reach.


What happens to my contract if I leave university?

The contract is for a set period and cannot be terminated or shortened. Also, if you lose your student status you will be liable for council tax for the period remaining on your contract.


What is a guarantor and why do I need one?

As most students do not earn enough to cover the rent and cost of living, you will need to have someone willing to pay your rent on your behalf, should for some reason you not be able to do so.

We recommend that this is usually a parent/guardian and that this person needs to earn over 3 times the annual rent for the property and more importantly, is in a financial position to cover the rent.


When do I need to start looking?

We start our viewings in November. We recommend booking your viewings as early as possible to ensure that you get the property that you want. Don’t leave it until the last minute!


Why use a letting agent?

We feel it is better to use an agent as you have a proper impartial point of contact. If you have any issues or queries, we are always happy to discuss them with you and see what we can do to help.

For many students, this will be the first time that they will have moved out of home and it is reassuring that there is someone on hand to assist with any issues they may have.


Will I have to move out at Christmas and Easter?

Assured shorthold tenancy agreements are generally signed for the period September to August. This means that you do not have to move out at any point during the contract.

Contact Us

Drop us a line anytime, and one of our property advisors will be happy to help.